Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Taking Bold Steps with Zumba: Jamesa Lewis, Joy of Fitness Instructor

Jamesa is all smiles leading her Zumba class.
Why did you become a Zumba instructor?
I became a Zumba instructor because I love to dance and I love to workout. Thank you Alberto, the brain child of Zumba, for coming up with this and not hesitating to step out and make it happen. After being a student in Zumba classes on and off for several years, I decided to take the bold step to become the instructor. I am so happy that I followed through, because I thoroughly enjoy teaching and having fun with my students as we move our bodies to the beat of several genres of music.  

What are the traits you look for in an excellent instructor and how does that influence your teaching style?
In my opinion, an excellent instructor keeps the energy going throughout the class and is in tune with each student ensuring, as much as possible, that everyone is engaged. As long as I am able to follow, as closely as possible, and I am getting a good workout while having fun, I'm all good. Those are the things that I try to emulate from the different instructors that I've had over time.

Jamesa rockin it!

What motivates you?
I love Zumba and I love to workout! That's my motivation. 

Favorite dance step?
I'm not sure what  it is called, but getting on my toes and tapping faster and faster while moving my upper body in a circular motion is so much fun for me, and my students all seem to enjoy it as well. 

Inspirational Quote: 

Nobody's built like you. You design yourself. 

No comments: